Popular Education and Experiential Learning Methodology:
Popular Education is a facilitation and training design method that:
• Is based on the experience and strengths of the participants
• Builds equality among participants and facilitators
• Encourages and teaches participants to analyze their own experiences and perspectives
(how to think critically, not what to think)
• Encourages participants and facilitators to examine and redefine power relationships
• Can be participatory, inclusive, accessible, fun, empowering, and creative
• Is intended to continue far beyond the “classroom” and into participants lives
Each group is understood to be a living organism. When one person is added or away, it changes the entire nature of the group.
Containers, Agreements, and Trust:
Building trust requires setting a container. I meet each group where they are at, and work together with them to create agreements and set the tone as a community.
When we meet in a circle, it holds us accountable to each other and increases the potential for all represented perspectives to be respected equally.
Strengthening Bridges and Building Communities:
"Us vs. Them" builds walls. My facilitation is centered in building bridges.
Presence and Vulnerability:
Honesty takes courage. Honesty and vulnerability are at the centre of transformation.
There is little else as transformative as speaking our truth and being received, or as bearing witness to the stories of others.
Understanding and Transforming the Roots of Oppressions:
Community. Compassion. Change.